2017-08-09 / Front Page

Ex-con Pudelko charged in robbery

810-452-2689 • elevine@mihomepaper.com

Convicted murderer Bryan Pudelko is back behind bars.

The 58-year-old Sandusky man, who spent more than two decades in prison for a 1989 murder, is facing new criminal charges in connection with a robbery and assault at the Sandusky Party Store.

Pudelko was arraigned in 73rd District Court on Aug. 2 on charges of unarmed robbery and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder.

Pudelko’s probable cause hearing is set for Aug. 15 and preliminary exam scheduled for Aug. 22. He is lodged in the Sanilac County Jail with bond set at $1 million cash or surety.

The robbery occurred Tues., Aug. 1 at the party store at 73 W. Sanilac Avenue.

According to Sandusky Chief of Police Brett Lester, the clerk called 911 around 7:30 p.m. to report the robbery.

The incident was caught on store surveillance video.

Lester said the suspect walked into the store and was asked by the female clerk “can I help you.”

The suspect “slowly walked” behind the counter and “proceeded to choke her,” said the chief.

“She fought him off, told him to take whatever he wanted.

The suspect took some cigarettes and two cans of beer and walked out the back door, Lester said.

The clerk gave police a description and possible name of the suspect. Officers apprehended a man who was walking several blocks away from the store.

Lester said the suspect matched the description provided by the clerk, and officers recovered some stolen items from the store in his possession.

The charge of armed robbery is a 15-year felony, while assault by strangulation is a 10-year crime, said Lester.

Pudelko served 25 years in prison, and another two years of parole, for the murder of Randy Chambers of Sandusky.

Pudelko shot Chambers, 32, in the face with a shotgun and then beat him to death with the gun at his trailer house in Moore Township on Feb. 18, 1989.

A jury convicted Pudelko, then 30, of second degree murder in Nov. 1989. In Jan., 1990 he was sentenced to 27 to 50 years in prison.

He was paroled in March 2015, and released from parole four months ago.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 Sanilac County News, All Rights Reserved

Special Sections

Click here for digital edition
2017-08-09 digital edition