2016-09-07 / Front Page

Good Samaritan rescues neighbor

DECKERVILLE – A neighbor rushed into a burning, smoke-filled house Tuesday morning, to rescue a woman in a wheelchair.

The rescue occurred Sept. 6, when Mark Garavaglia spotted the fire that spread from the front porch - which caught fire from a gas grill - to the south end of the residence in the 2400 block of Black River Street, according to Sanilac County fire investigator Deputy Rob Wendling.

Knowing that the woman who lived in the house was in a wheelchair, Garavaglia entered through the back entrance and carried the woman outside, to an area where emergency medical personnel could render aid.

The Deckerville Fire Department extinguished the flames before additional structural damage occurred.

The local Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

Sanlac County Sheriff’s deputies, Deckerville police and Deckerville EMS also responded to the scene.

The fire was reported to Sanilac Central Dispatch at 11:27 a.m.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 Sanilac County News, All Rights Reserved

Special Sections

Click here for digital edition
2016-09-07 digital edition